Monday, March 1, 2010

First Solo Cross-country Flight (KTTA - KBUY - KHBI - KTTA) in Allegro 2000 LSA

On March 01, 2010, I accomplished my first solo cross-country flight, a requirement as part of my Sport Pilot Certificate training. My long cross-country solo flight plan consisted of three legs: Raleigh Exec Airport (Sanford, NC) - Burlington Alamance Airport (Burlington, NC) - Asheboro Regional Airport (Asheboro, NC) - Raleigh Exec Airport (Sanford, NC) : KTTA-KBUY-KHBI-KTTA for a total of 104 NM (120 Miles). The entire trip lasted for 2.1 hours (PIC log time) and I cruised at about 3,000 ft with an average indicated speed of 100 miles/ hour. I completed my first solo cross-country flight after accumulating 21 hours of dual training time with Jim and 1 hour of solo PIC time in my flight logbook !



At 10.00 AM EST, I reviewed the flight plan for my first solo cross-country flight (KTTA-KBUY-KHBI-KTTA; 120 Miles) with Jim. After the pre-flight check, I started the Allegro 2000 LSA (N50631) for my first solo cross-country flight from Raleigh Exec Airport at 10:40 AM EST. I taxied to RWY 03 and tookoff on an MC of 335 towards Burlington Alamance Airport (KBUY). The wind aloft was 11 knots from 310 at the cruising altitude of 3,000 ft. I piloted the airplane with an IAS of 100 mph. Performed pilotage and dead reckoning although the Garmin GPS gave the flight track. I entered the KBUY approach for RWY 24 at the traffic pattern altitude of 1600 ft and landed at an IAS of 75 mph. The landing was smooth and that was my first solo landing at another airport...I taxied out of the RWY and entered the RWY 24 after coming to a full stop at KBUY.

I took off for Asheboro Airport (KHBI) from RWY 24 of KBUY.


I followed the flight path at MC 229 from a cruising altitude of 3,000 ft and observed pilotage and dead reckoning en route.
Upon entering the traffic pattern at KHBI for RWY 03, I spotted a twin engine plane coming on a long final for RWY 21. I applied full-power and did a go-around. I saw a single-engine plane lifting off from RWY 03 during the downwind leg and landed the Allegro 2000 on RWY 03. I taxied out of the RWY and stopped near the North Carolina Aviation Museum.

From KHBI, I tookoff for KTTA from RWY 03 at MC 104 (MH 100). I cruised at an altitude of 3,500 ft for KTTA with an IAS of 100 mph that gave a groundspeed of 107 mph.

The N-plant cooling tower at Sanford, NC was visible miles away. There was some turbulence with scattered clouds at 4,000 ft. I entered the downwind for KTTA traffic pattern for RWY 03 and performed my third and final landing on my first solo cross-country flight with a forward slip to reduce altitude and touched down near the centerline after a landing flare. I taxied clear of the RWY and stopped at the FBO.

I discussed my first XC flight with Jim. Both Jim and Doug congratulated me for successfully completing my first solo cross-country flight.

My first solo cross-country flight was a true adventure...making it a memorable day in my sport pilot training...

No comments:

Post a Comment