Friday, February 19, 2010

Training: Crosswind Takeoffs and Landings

My flight instructor, Jim Schmidt, CFI instructed me today on how to perform takeoffs and landings with a crosswind that he demonstrated to me during one of my earlier sport pilot training lessons. The winter weather today at Raleigh Exec (KTTA) was mild (50 F) but with a wind of about 10 knots from 310 degrees. This gave me the opportunity to practice crosswind takeoffs and landings before my long cross-country solo flight.

After a preflight check of the Allegro 2000 LSA (N50631), I taxied to RWY 03. I tookoff with no flap, at 56 mph but with the left wing into the crosswind. Once airborne, I held a crab angle into the wind and climbed over the runway as usual. After performing the traffic pattern (left crosswind, downwind, base and final) maneuvers, I approaced the RWY 03 with a crab and descended by a forward slip maneuver (left aileron and right rudder) and landed the airplane with a left stick to compensate for the crosswind. I tookoff from the rest of the runway (touch-and-go) and landed with a litte bounce during my second landing. Jim applied full-power and we lifted off for another traffic pattern. I performed the third traffic pattern with a crab at downwind and the landing with a short touch-down with aileron and rudder corrections for the crosswind from the left. After a fourth touch-and-go for the final traffic pattern work, I reduced the power to attain 70 mph and lowered the flap to 15 degrees at abeam of RWY 03 during the downwind leg. I descended to base and final legs maintaining an airspeed of 66-68 mph. I landed the airplane for the fourth time in the crosswind condition and taxied back to the FBO.

No comments:

Post a Comment