Saturday, October 30, 2010

Flight Trip: KTTA - KHBI - KTTA

Today at Noon, I preflighted the Allegro 2000 LSA from the FBO - B Bar D Aviation and taxied the airplane to the RWY 21 with my wife as a passenger for a trip from Raleigh-Exec Jetport (KTTA) to Asheboro Regional Airport (KHBI) and back to Raleigh-Exec Jetport. The sky was clear with winds from 190 degrees at 6 knots. I tookoff with 15 degrees of flap and headed west towards KHBI. I climbed to 3,000 ft. There was a strong headwind that reduced my indicated airspeed of 95 MPH to a groundspeed of only 75 MPH. There were some thermal induced turbulence. We enjoyed our flight enroute with the Fall colors of North Carolina presenting a fantastic view. Twenty miles east of Asheboro I listened to the AWOS and the winds favored RWY 21 at KHBI. I entered the downwind for RWY 21 and landed the plane after a short final. I then taxied the LSA to the GA area and switched the engine off. A Remos LSA was parked nearby and the pilot greeted us. We had a short conversation. I then started the engine for taxiing to RWY 21.



I performed the before takeoff checklist and tookoff with no flaps. After the left crosswind leg, I headed east towards KTTA. We crossed the HWY 220 NC and again we enjoyed the Fall colors below throughout our flight. On the return trip, I had a 20 knots tailwind and now my groundspeed was at 115 MPH. Above Goldston, NC, I listened to the AWOS and the winds still favored RWY 21 at KTTA. There was some traffic on the CTAF and I had a Piper just 4 Miles behind and 400 ft above my altitude. I crossed the mid-field of KTTA RWY and joined the downwind for RWY 21. I landed the airplane after a longer final to bleedoff 200 ft of excess altitude. I then taxied to the FBO. Just a couple of minutes later, the Piper Cherokee also landed at RWY 21.



Today's flight trip was 80 NM and I have now accumulated about 11.5 hours of cross-country flight time.

No comments:

Post a Comment