Sunday, July 11, 2010

Flight Training: Evaluation Flight with another Instructor

On July 8, 2010, my flight instructor Jim asked another instructor at the FBO, Ross Kennedy to perform an evaluation of my flight maneuvers in preparation for my Sport Pilot checkride. After the preflight of the Allegro 2000 LSA, I taxied to RWY 3. Ross asked me to perform a soft-field takeoff and head towards the flight practice area. At an altitude of 3,500 ft MSL, I performed clearing turns and slow flight at 55 MPH heading straight and shallow turns to the right. Ross then asked me to demonstrate stall & recovery in both the takeoff and landing approach configurations with flaps at position 1 and 2 respectively. Ross asked me to simulate an engine failure at 3,000 ft. I then changed the attitude of the plane to maintain a stable glide speed of 70-72 MPH and picked a large field as the landing site. I flew the plane descending towards the field. I was a little high even after a forward slip maneuver and Ross demonstrated the correct configuration and slip maneuver to reach towards the field. I ended the simulated landing at 500 ft and performed a climb to 1,000 ft AGL. Ross then asked me to perform a turns around a point maneuver. I performed the maneuver at 90 mph and headed towards the KTTA, joining the midpoint of downwind for RWY 3 at 1,250 ft. Ross then asked me to perform a soft-field landing. I landed the plane within the first 1,000 ft of the runway with flaps at 2 and a final approach speed of 62 MPH. Ross provided some feedback and suggestions.
I have scheduled another dual flight training with my instructor Jim Schmidt next week and hope to be ready by then to contact a DPE for my checkride !

No comments:

Post a Comment