Saturday, April 17, 2010

Solo Crosswind Takeoff and Landing, Flight Maneuvers Practice

On Friday (April 16, 2010), I preflighted the Allegro 2000 LSA and taxied to runway 21 at the Raleigh-Exec Airport (KTTA) for solo flight practice. The weather was mild (70 F) but with strong winds of 8 knots from 260 degrees gusting to 12 knots. I performed my first solo crosswind takeoff with right aileron into the wind with flap 1. I lifted of at 60 mph as opposed to the normal 56 mph and retracted the flap at 150 ft. On climbing at 70 mph, I held a crab into the wind as I cleared the runway 21-3 and headed to the NW of the airport.

I climbed to 3,000 ft and practiced the following flight maneuvers: clearing turns, steep turns, power-on stall & recovery, power-off stall & recovery. I then descended to 1400 ft to try S-turns and circle around a point maneuvers. The wind aloft was high with updrafts. I piloted the Allegro 2000 LSA to the SE of KTTA. The wind conditions were still gusty and hence I decided to try these maneuvers another day. I entered the downwind mid-point for RWY 21 and performed my first solo crosswind landing with an approach airspeed of 70 mph with right aileron into the wind. I turned off the runway at taxiway Bravo to the FBO.

No comments:

Post a Comment