Saturday, March 19, 2011

PIC Time: Solo Flight Practice in the Traffic Pattern with Gusty Winds

Today, at 10.00 AM EST, I preflighted the Allegro 2000 LSA for gaining some flight practice in takeoffs and landings in gusty winds. The temperature at the Raleigh-Exec Jetport (KTTA) was mild at 72 F with great visibility. The winds were from 040 degrees at 15 MPH gusting to 19 MPH. The traffic at the airport was moderate with a Business Jet taking off to the North followed by a Cessna 172 and a Mooney both doing the traffic pattern work.



I taxied to the RWY 03 and performed a normal takeoff with Flaps at 15 degrees. After the climb, I turned to the crosswind leg at 900 ft and flew towards the practice area near the 3M Plant in the NW. I then performed a shallow 180 degrees turn and at a height of 2400 ft crossed the RWY midpoint and joined the downwind for RWY 03. After a long downwind to decrease my altitude, I turned base behind the Mooney and performed by first landing of the day with no flaps and with a slight power to compensate for the gusty but strong headwind. I taxied to the RWY 03 and took-off with no flaps and climbed straight and turned to the crosswind and downwind legs. At abeam no.3, I reduced the power to 3500 RPM in the Rotax engine and turned base and final legs followed by the Mooney aircraft. With the aid of the strong headwind, I was able to land and exit via the first taxiway Echo within 1200 ft.




I then took off from RWY 03 after the landing of the Cessna 172 and flew towards the Lake Jordan with a view of the cooling towers of the N-Plant in Sanford, NC. I then joined the downwind for RWY 03 and turned base as the Mooney aircraft was on the final leg. I again landed at RWY 03 and exited the runway via taxiway Charlie. I then taxied the plane in strong tailwinds to the FBO.

Overall, a great practice flight that added three landings as PIC to my pilot logbook.

No comments:

Post a Comment